The Nairobi County Assembly is seeking to establish a Transitional Oversight Committee that will oversee the reversal of roles that were transferred to Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS.)
Led by Jubilee legislators in the Assembly the MCAs want the functions reverted back in preparation for the expiry of NMS term in March 2022.
In a motion by James Kiriba, the MCA for Riruta Ward there is need for the County Government to commence transitional engagements on reversal of all the transferred functions in anticipation of the end of the Deed of Transfer.
“Acknowledging that the said transfer agreement was effected via Gazette Notice No. 1605 dated 25th February 2020 that would see the National Government execute the said functions for an initial renewable period of 24 months from the date of execution; Further acknowledging that from the date of execution, being 17th March 2020, the agreement unless otherwise terminated, shall be in force until March 2022; realizing the need for the County Government to commence transitional engagements on reversal of all the transferred functions in anticipation of the end of the Deed of Transfer; now therefore, this assembly resolves to establish a transitional oversight committee for the reversal of the transferred functions with its membership constituting the following” read the Notice of Motion.
Should the motion sail through the floor of the house taskforce will constitute, The Leader of the Majority Party, The Leader of the Minority Party, The Leader of the Majority Party Whip and The Leader of the Minority Party Whip.
Six parliamentary committees will also be included in the Oversight committee including The Committees include Committee on Water and Sanitation, Health Services, Environment and Natural Resources, Transport and Public Works, Planning and Housing and ICT and Energy. Three (3) other Members representing; the youth category, women category and Persons with Disability from amongst Members of the County Assembly.
According to the motion by Kiriba the Transitional Oversight Committee for the reversal of the Transferred Functions will be guided with the following Terms of Reference:
- Examine the measure put in place by the Executive Sectors whose functions were transferred in anticipation of the reversal of the transferred functions;
- Assessment the readiness by the executive to receive back the transferred functions;
- Examine all the assets and liabilities under the National Government from each sectors and plans put in place for handing over;
- Oversight on the guides and modalities that would guide towards the reversal of the transferred functions back to the County Government, including pending developments; and,
- Report to the County Assembly with a Comprehensive Report within Four (4) months from the date of establishment of the Committee on the preparedness, modalities, assets and liabilities from the Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS) – being the donor entity and the Nairobi City County Government –being the recipient entity.